Monday, February 11, 2013

Education

So this is our start on an adventure I have no idea where we will end up. First let me say there are no issues at school and both boys are doing fine. But I am feeling disconnected with them and as a family we are becoming room mates and nothing more. So I am looking into home schooling. Of the few family's that I see who do it there is one thing I always notice, they are close as a family. The kids listen (for the most part, they are still kids) they respect each other and they respect other around them. These are things I want for my family.
I am not ready to pull them out of school and go 100% home school. For one thing I still need my income to make our budget and for another I would have no idea how to do it. So we have decided to educate our selves about it. We are going to a conference in a month to learn more and in the mean time we are going to start school a little in the evenings.
After dinner and before bed we have about 1 hour of time we have nothing going on. So Kevin and I decided that this would be a good time to bound as a family and to dip our toe into home schooling. This Sunday we started with a space book, one of a educational series I bought when the kids were younger. Every night we will read a little of it as a family and then talk about what we learned. The next night we see what the kids can tell us about that we learned the day before. Tonight was the second night so I got to see if they really learned anything or not. And I was nicely surprised to find that they had learned a lot and still remembered what we talk about from the night before. The reading and talking only lasted an half an hour then they were ready to move on. But so far so good.

No comments: